🔎

A question about a recipe: SAGE HONEY BRINED ROAST CHICKEN

I have a question about the recipe "SAGE HONEY BRINED ROAST CHICKEN" from dymnyno. Does anyone see a problem if I substituted an equal amount of kosher salt (Morton's) for the sea salt in the brine? Thank you!

L1010104
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

It should be fine but I'd start by cutting back the salt by 1/2 cup and taste the brine. The reason I say this is that Morton's kosher salt is known to taste "saltier" than other kosher salts, so you may find that you'll want to scale back the salt a little.

Tarragon added 2 months ago

Perfect answer, thank you!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added 2 months ago

tarragon, maybe the recipe chef would have a diff opinion, for the purpose of just a brine, i can't imagine that sea salt would make that big a difference; and it certainly is very cher compared to kosher salt.
BTW, many recipe chefs rarely see the hotline or check the comments on their recipe pages. So when i have a question that i really need ansswered, i click on the chef's recipe and then from there i click on their name; and then on their member page, i send them an email by clicking on the envelope symbol. those emails go to them directly.

dymnyno added 2 months ago

I don't usually use Mortons salt because it contains iodine. That said, I have never tried their "sea salt" . I suppose it would work if there are no additives.

Tarragon added 2 months ago

Thank you all. Dynamo, I wasn't particularly asking about Morton's, but really Kosher salt vs sea salt for this brine in general. FYI I did make the brine, substituting the kosher salt for the sea salt since neither Amanda nor LBF seemed to think there was a big difference in a brine. I used Amanda's suggestion to reduce the salt since I had Morton's. It was perfect! (I halved the recipe and used regular honey, then brined a cornish hen, which I spatchcocked and roasted at 450 for 30 minutes along with some root vegs. As promised, the hen came out juicy, flavorful and with a beautiful mahogany skin. I also followed wssmom's brilliant suggestion to use less water in the brine, then cool with ice cubes, so that I could brine right away.