🔎

Is anyone familiar with a citrus fruit called “limaquat”?

I found limaquats on sale at the store, got a little bucket of them and ponder what to do with them now.
They look (and the name suggests this, too) like a lemon-kumquat hybrid and are unwaxed, so I’m thinking of candying them or making marmalade.
Any experience with this or other ideas?

161951_is_anyone_familiar_with_a__citrus_fruit_called_%e2%80%9climaquat%e2%80%9d_
mickle added 2 months ago

It is a cross between a lime and a kumquat and supposedly more flavor than a lime although, I have not tasted one. How about using for one or more of the following: substitute in key lime pie, a mojito, make. Preserved limaquat using a preserved lemon recipe to be used in future recipes, Moroccan shrimp, a spritzer with vodka and sparkling water, etc

lem monade added 2 months ago

Thank you so much, these suggestions sound perfect (moroccan shrimp?!) and I might have to try out each and every one of them – just started with an after-dinner gimlet (vodka's not my poison), which is absolutely delicious. They do have a lovely balance of acid, the mellowness of lime juice and that punchy, slightly bitter flavour of kumquat zest.

mickle added 2 months ago

I forgot to add that your idea to candy them is great, too!

Photo_squirrel
LE BEC FIN added 2 months ago

lem, where are you and where do they come from? thx

lem monade added 2 months ago

I am in Vienna, Austria, and the limequats were grown in the region of Murcia, Spain, from where – together with southern Italy – most of the citrus sold in central europe comes.

mickle added 2 months ago

Glad you liked my suggestions; will try to find a reference for my favorite Morrocan shrimp