The problem: one 8 ounce bone-in pork chop, and two people need dinner. No wheat, no bell pepper of any kind, including paprika; chili peppers also not allowed. Cook responsible for executing is pretty skillful. Any ideas? Thank you. ;o)

If I needed something quick, I'd bone it out, slice it and make a stir fry. That stretches the meat if you think you are short. I'd do pork, cabbage, onion a little carrot and Szchewan Brown Bean Sauce if you have it. Great combo. Black Bean Sauce would work too.

The sauce from this Cooking Light delicious with pork, maybe you can use this on the chop? I think you can get away with not soaking the cherries. Serve with rice and a Veg side.

Or a Mustard Cream pan sauce?

1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/2 cup brandy
Cooking spray
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon red currant jelly
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf

Combine cherries and brandy in a small bowl. Let stand 1 hour.

Sprinkle pork evenly with powdered mustard, pepper, and salt.

Brown the pork in a pan.

Reduce heat to medium; add onion and garlic. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Add cherry mixture, broth, jelly, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Return pork to pan. Return pork to pan, cover and cook unitl done. Discard bay leaf. Bring broth mixture to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 3 minutes). Thicken if you like with a flour or cornstarch slurry.

This is sauce for 2lbs of pork, you may want to reduce it.

Monkeys

Depending on the veggies you have around, fried rice would be a good satisfying meal. The egg can bulk up the protein in the meal. Another option would be to katsu the pork and eat with fresh steamed rice and a fried egg with whatever veggies you also have around. The 'katsu' and egg idea would be nice with a salad and a bacon-type dressing.

Monkeys

oops, when I say katsu, I mean to deep fry with a coating. I know that is usually panko so for a wheat free version, sweet potato flour makes a lovely coating.

Dsc03010

Prepare rice. Bone (or is it de-bone?) the pork, slice it in half sideways, pound it thin, season it very well (salt, pepper, a sprinkle of sugar to aid in browning), sear it in garlic olive oil over very high heat, squirt with lemon juice; remove from pan and set aside. Stir into the skillet some diced tomato and brightly-colored vegetables such as spinach, chopped broccoli, green beans thinly sliced on the diagonal, green onion. Saute until barely done. Scoop rice into pasta bowls, top with pork, then vegetables. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil.

Halloween

Could also do a soup with pork dumplings (either use wheat free wrappers or leave them off and have pork meatballs)- grind the meat with some scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and then simmer in stock- add some baby bok choy or similar greens, any other veggies desired including some nice mushrooms maybe, scallions, ginger, etc., and some soy sauce, vinegar, and a hit of sesame oil if desired, serve with rice noodles.

Please, please don't remove the bone. There is so much flavor on that side. Myself, in order to extend it I would use a sharp knife to open a deep pocket along the side and stuff it. The stuffing could be anything that combines with pork, mushrooms etc. An ounce chop is good sized, so I would braise it, covered on a stove top, covered. It needs a moist heat to keep from drying out. Hopefully there is lots of fat. It's not the other white meat.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

wow, now I've got a hankerin' for a pork chop! I'm sure dinner's over but....

Bone the chop, slice it into two thin scallopine, and pound if necessary. Season with s+p.

In a sauté pan, heat knob of butter. Saute chopped celery, sliced onions, sliced apples, garlic, sage, 3 juniper berries, s+p. Maybe a splash of calvados? Remove to a plate. In same pan, melt another pat of butter, teeny bit of olive oil, and quick sauté the scallopine. When done, return veg/apples to pan to heat and serve with the pork. Cornichons on the side. Boil some potatoes too, if you have.

I was thinking cut medalions would be good, too. Sauteed quickly, add mushrooms to pan to brown, then deglaze with some port wine and a sprig of rosemary, add a small amount of chicken stock, reduce and swirl with a pat of butter for shine. Arrange meat and shrooms on plate, pour sauce over and serve with garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed apples.

Cakes

I like the idea of scallopini, and why not do a sauce with chopped shallots cooked in butter, some of your homemade preserved whole peaches or apricots, creme fraiche or sour cream, S&P, and a little white wine?

Make iuzzini's soup, but be sure to use the bone to make the stock base to satisfy pierino!