What is a quahog?

asked by XXX-XXX-1673 over 3 years ago
5254970837_532a2f2e67

a kind of clam native to the East coast. also: the town where Family Guy is set.

Dsc06467

halfasiangirl I also learned what it is. Thank you !!

Dsc_0015

it's quite a large clam, so it is usually served chopped up and mixed with breadcrumbs, bacon, cheese, etc. and then stuffed back into its shell and broiled. aka "stuffed quahog"....

Desert

I would not say "Usually" It's one way they are served.

It is indeed a big, fat meat clam native to the east coast. And with my left coast bias (although I was born in...) kind of unappealing to my tastes. You need to chop it up and work with it. I think of it as a chowder clam where it's going to cook for a long time and still, in the end no good will come of it.

On the east coast you find a number of different sizes of the same kind of clam, with quahog being the largest. Cherrystones and little necks are smaller and often served raw, but never heard of quahogs being served on the half-shell!