how to peel a pepper

asked by Cecil Wooten 4 months ago

why would you want to peel a pepper?

Baci1

@John R. Marshall, because the skin can be thick and tough.

While an Oxo swivel peeler works great, I agree with the suggestion to char the pepper on flame. It only enhances the flavor.

Bigpan

Q = "why" peel a pepper (not how) ... The skin does not digest and blocks the flavor of the pepper. Most people don't peel peppers, or tomatoes, because they don't know why and are lazy.
Note that all "fine dining" restaurants serve peeled peppers and tomatoes - because they want the best flavors to come through - and charge you appropriately for doing that.
At home, it is part of the fun of cooking !

Though I do not agree with calling those who do not peel lazy.

Marcella Hazan always instructed to use a swivel peeler to peel both tomatoes and peppers. It works great for me.

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

https://food52.com/recipes... This food52 recipe does a good job of explaining how to peel a raw pepper and it's a great recipe. I like it better than roasted peppers.

Ever since my husband fell in love with Marcella Hazan we have peeled our peppers. So it is a little time consuming. A peeled pepper is a completely different product from a roasted pepper. I have learned that it is not imperative that every little smidge of skin be removed.

Image

If you were peeling raw peppers , a serrated peeler would be the perfect tool. I have one from Oxo that makes quick work of tomatoes and peaches as well.

Just a quick note that you should not put hot peppers in plastic bags - the chemicals from the plastic will leach into the pepper.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet