Making Sauerkraut in a desert

Hi has anyone had issues with making sauerkraut in a desert? I've just moved from London, UK where I made delicious fermented sauerkraut, to Phoenix, AZ and I have been having trouble with the recipe that I used in London. It either winds up salty and not fermented or it goes bad. Does anyone have any tips or trick on how to make sauerkraut in a desert?

asked by Heather Strain 12 months ago
Buddhacat

Temperature between London and Phoenix, big difference. Air conditioning all over Arizona, another difference that subtracts humidity. Water quality huge difference. Just keep experimenting.

Junechamp

I don't have any great advice, but you might contact a chef or cooking teacher in Phoenix and ask them. Barbara Fenzl owns a wonderful cooking school in Phoenix, "Les Gourmettes." you could look her up.

I can't believe this post came up! I just posted something on Facebook that sounds very much like your posting! The difference is where we both came from...you from the UK, and I from Arkansas, USA...BUT...both are humid places...I am wondering if humidity has anything to do with it all! I have lived here in Phoenix for eleven years...I have obtained cabbage fresh from the field, no chemicals, along with store-purchased cabbage; I have used tap water, distilled water, and filtered water; I use only salt, no vinegar...I have had many batches sour or barely ferment and end up not very tasty at all, compared to what I did in Arkansas. I always thanked God for the wonderful sauerkraut that really was no trouble at all, but did not realize just how blessed I was in that endeavor until I moved here! If anything comes up on Facebook, I will post it here! Welcome to Phoenix! Sauerkraut and heat can be a bit troublesome, but other than that, Phoenix is a wonderful place to live!

This post may help: http://www.nourishingtreasures...

It sounds as if you are having problems with the fermentation stage. I have a vague recollection that some people introduce the lactobacillus by adding a small amount of yogurt or another food that contains the microorganism. I spend a lot of time in sauerkraut country (Germany), so I think that is where I picked up the idea.

Ah, I found a bit more:
http://www.culturesforhealth...

These are great articles and very helpful! Thank you!

Stringio

I've never heard about adding a bit of yogurt or other lactobacillus rich foods to the cabbage. I've been beginning to suspect that it had something to do with the bacteria, thank you for the help. Looks like I have some experimenting to do.