OUR NEWEST BOOKS, VEGAN AND BAKING, ARE AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER! RESERVE YOURS »

Has anyone ever used hibiscus powder to color frosting pink? Was it a success or would dusting with the powder be better?

asked by CH-4500 over 1 year ago
3daaaaf4-fcd4-4222-bc0f-c2f7d2396038--green_cupcake

I have! Are you using powdered sugar in the frosting? I found it best to whisk the hibiscus powder into the powdered sugar, then sift it very well over the soft butter/cream cheese/whatever the frosting base is, and beat it. I admit there were some small speckles of darker pink in the frosting; it was still beautiful, though.
In my experience, hibiscus powder can be lumpy and sensitive to moisture, so think the above method would work better than dusting it onto a frosted cake. That could work, too -- but I would be sure to sift it well, and maybe dilute it with some powdered sugar, and serve it soon after dusting. Best wishes!

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

Does the hibiscus powder impart flavor? I'm intrigued.

Yes: it's pleasantly tangy, like hibiscus tea. You could add it gradually to keep the flavor and color under control. Beet root powder is another beautiful option, with a little less noticeable of a flavor.

65b0eb66-5b0e-4694-9dc6-5f0a0143e4f4--image

Thank you!! Those we exactly the precautions I need to know about!
If butter,sugar, flowers has an excellent cupcake recipe as well, do let me know.