High Altitude Baking...my cookies flatten out now that I live at a higher altitude. How can I fix this?

asked by Ginger O'Knuckles 2 months ago
Image

This thread should help you out:
http://food52.com/hotline...

Consider posting a recipe on Food52 once you've worked out the kinks - my (albeit quick) search didn't come up with anything.

added about 1 month ago

I wrote the High Altitude Baking chapter for The Bakers Dozen Cookbook, an organization of professional bakers of which I'm a happy member. If you can give me your altitude, I'll be happy to give you adjustments specific to it, and the reasons for them. They're really quite simple.

added about 1 month ago

I'm only just at 5,100 feet. It's not much, but defiantly a difference from being practically at sea level.

Cumberland_pass_atv_trip_-_july_20__2013_019

boulangere.....Cynthia, did you do a blog post with high altitude adjustments? I haven't found it and wonder if I need a link. I know you're busy and thank you for doing that blog!

I'm at 3800' and would love your chart, too! How will we know when it's posted?

Sandi, at 3800', reduce your leavening by 32%, increase your flour by 5%, and add an egg. Sorry, I've been swamped and just haven't gotten to the blog post yet. I'll be sure to let you know here when it's up. Thank you for being so patient.

Can you help me with the calculations for an altitude at 2500? Also, are these adjustments good for overall baking or just cookies?

Judy, at 2500', you should decrease your baking powder by 20% and add an egg. Your flour quantity can remain the same. This applies to cakes, muffins, quick breads, etc, but not to yeasted breads.

Thanks so much for your answer - you are incredibly generous to do this! I am MOOOCHO appreciative!

Oh, not at all, Sandi. It's all in bakers helping bakers. I'm very glad it helps you. I'll try to get to the blog post next weekend, so people are set up for fall and holiday baking (now that we can stand to turn on ovens again).

Thank you, Cynthia! The temperatures are certainly cooler here in Colorado!

Oh my goodness...I got my altitude wrong. I am not at 2500 feet...I am at 7500 feet. I'd really appreciate some guidance on conversions.

Wow. That's a significant difference. For 7500 feet (where do you live?), reduce your baking powder by 60%, increase the flour y 10%, and add an egg.

532719_3658538260807_1195156242_32905581_1657496368_n_2

Cynthia - I'm looking forward to your blog post and ordered a copy of The Baker's Dozen Cookbook so I could read your section on high-altitude baking. So glad to have found you and the book as a resource!

Rhonda, I assure you that you will love the book. And your comment is so kind. I promise that I will have a blog post up over the coming weekend. Thank you kindly.