🔔
🔎

Can anyone recommend the best online recipe organizer - I'd like to upload recipes I've saved in Word docs, add scanned in hard copies as well as add links/full text from around the Web.

asked by NanC about 4 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

@jameschevalier on Twitter suggested the service Evernote.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Here's what he said: I suggest using @Evernote to store recipes - all your scanned recipes will be searchable too!

Thanks James and Amanda - I'm familiar with Evernote. I was hoping for a food-specific type of service that is Evernote-like (i.e. device agnostic, searchable).
Perhaps others in the crowd have ideas. (Also check out Mendeley for inspiration- it's an academic-focused tool but some of the features/functionality might work for food.)

n.b. I worked at NYT corporate from 03 until Jan, when I moved to London. I found this site by accident - it's a small media world...thanks again!

Mini_cartoon1

What about something more basic like Google Docs? Greplin (www.greplin.com) is a free search service that will search through your uploaded documents. Personally, I copy and paste recipes into my Epicurious recipe box, as Epicurious has amazing search capabilities (eg, filtering by course or main ingredient).

You are describing BigOven -- www.bigoven.com. BigOven is like Evernote in that you can simply snap photos of recipes (and they will transcribe them). But BigOven knows its a recipe, so you can add it to a meal calendar, then create a grocery list, get nutrition, add photos and more. It's pretty amazing. Free apps also for iPad, iPhone, Android and Windows Phone.

I started using evernote more recently, and it's proved very easy to save and upload recipe. But I have not figured out how to categorize things (and there isn't great instruction on the site. at all). I'm assuming there must be a way. Anyone familiar with it have an idea?

www.foodily.com! Their site is extremely eye appealing and user friendly. Plus Foodily features the best recipe search engine on the web. The Originals tool allows you to upload your own recipes. Then you can have all your favorite recipes from Food52 plus all the other best sites and your own personal collection all stored in one place.

Stringio

I love Copy Me That. It has a shopping list and meal planner, plus it automatically formats and copies any online recipe. I like that I can edit my recipes and organize them with tags. Plus, all the text is searchable.