🔎

• 4

• 8555

Is creamy horseradish sauce the same as prepared horseradish? Using it to prepare homemade cocktail sauce for shrimp. (The horseradish sauce that I have contains water, soybean oil, horseradish, distilled vinegar, corn syrup, corn starch, sugar, salt, egg yolks, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate).

Newliztoqueicon-2
Lizthechef added over 3 years ago

No. I use prepared horseradish to make my own creamy horseradish sauce. You have a sauce already prepared by the list of your ingredients. I buy "cream style" horseradish in the chilled deli section of the grocery store. To make my creamy horseradish sauce I add 3 T. of it to 1 cup of sour cream, 1 chopped shallot and 1 T. champagne vinegar. For cocktail sauce, I combine ketchup, horseradish and lemon juice in whatever spicy proportion I want. Good luck!!

bella s.f. added over 3 years ago

If I already had the creamy horseradish sauce I would use it. Sometimes you just can't go back out, or if you do the stores may be too crazy busy. I am including a link to Ina Garten's recipe for Roasted Shrimp Cocktail. It is so easy to make and so very. very good. No more boiling, steaming, or any other method when it comes to shrimp. Her cocktail sauce is also great. Enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork...

Yes, use what you have. For a cocktail sauce whisk in either ketchup or chili sauce (which is just spicy ketchup) to the creamy bit. But for the future think about buying whole horseradish and peeling and grating it yourself. Not much work.

coaklde added over 3 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I was actually in the midst of preparing the Ina Garten recipe for Roasted Shrimp Cocktail, and I agree - both the shrimp and sauce were fantastic. I did make poor hubby go out to the store again for prepared horseradish; didn't want to chance messing with the recipe. Everything turned out great. Thank you for your help!