🔔
🔎

Where do I get back bacon? I am from Ireland and it is very easy to get very lean bacon in all supermarkets there every type I have bought here is super fatty. Help please.

asked by casadelmonte almost 4 years ago

In U.S. supermarkets the usual bacon is what the U.K. calls 'streaky bacon' and is from the pork belly. For lean bacon (back bacon( look for the product called 'Canadian Bacon' which is from the pork loin. It is available in any supermarket.

Try Fresh & Easy market, a new U.S. chain owned by Tesco. I read on Chowhound.com that they carry a product called British back bacon. I know they have a few U.K. style pickles and pudding. Also, in Santa Monica, there is a U.K. shop associated with the Kings Head pub and restaurant. Right near the 3rd street promenade. Worth a shot, if they don't carry it, they will have a lead for you.

Another lead for Irish or British bacon--there's a Sainsbury Market in L.A.

12200 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025

(310) 826-4388

Oh, nutcakes, you have made my morning. Back Bacon is a delicacy I learned to lover whiile visiting the UK. Now I can look for British owned chains although I doubt I will find one close to me!

Uruguay2010_61

Try Myers of Keswick at 634 Hudson St, New York, NY 10014 (212) 691-4194. Real British butcher with proper pork pies, bacon, etc. If you are in NYC, just walk in and you will feel at home.

I've been on the hunt for good Irish-style bacon for years. Here's what I've found: Canadian bacon is back bacon, but it's not the same. It's usually round rather than in rashers, and it's a different texture, usually sliced too thin, and the flavor isn't right. I think they might use a lot of sugar in the curing process. In Canada (where I've never actually seen the stuff Americans call 'Canadian bacon', there's a type of bacon called 'pea meal bacon', which strangely, is usually coated in cornmeal rather than pea meal. It's closer to proper rashers, but you can't really get the cornmeal off, which changes the texture and flavor substantially. Not bad, but again, not Irish. Beware of supermarket products claiming to be Irish bacon--I tried one in Connecticut--can't remember the brand but it had Book of Kells style writing on it--and it tasted like nasty chemicals. I think it's pretty difficult to import meat products so you probably can't get the real thing here. I've really given up on buying it. A British butcher might be a good bet, as usuba dashi says, but my next step will be to cure my own. Haven't tried it yet, but there's a recipe for simple salt-cured bacon in Preserve It by Dorling Kindersley. Or maybe the Charcutepalooza crew can help you out.

Oops, Dorling Kindersley is the publisher (DK Publishing). Here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/Preserve...

You are all so kind, I mostly use lean bacon for my quiches,chop it up and fry gently with onions before placing in the pastry case and topping with the egg mixture, it's yummie

Outside the UK, I've had an extremely hard time finding decent dry-cure, unsmoked bacon. Most of what you find in the US is that sodden, bright pink stuff. Finding an interesting butcher who makes his own is your best bet!

Irish Back Bacon available in the USA at
www.goodwoods.com

Irish Back Bacon available in the USA at...
www.goodwoods.com

Goodwoods_20logo_202

I usually order back bacon from Food Ireland. They also have sausages, black and white pudding and Brennans Batch Loaf bread.
http://www.foodireland...