🔎

Snow day in Boston! Making potato leek soup and don't have any cream or sour cream. Which is better substitute: 2% Greek yogurt or soft goat cheese?

brandon added over 3 years ago

I would us milk if you have it with a small amount of goat cheese. I think the yogurt might be too tart. Worst case scenario, just leave it out and use chicken stock.

Image

If you're using Julia Child's recipe, you could substitute butter for the cream.

Bri
ichibanbrianne added over 3 years ago

I don't use any dairy except at the end for garnish. If you puree the soup when it's warm it will have a luscious texture.

SpecialSka added over 3 years ago

Thanks! Julia Child = butter. What's not to love?

ChefDaddy added over 3 years ago

Just remember that finishing a sauce or soup is done by adding fat, but with the flame off. You can "break" the soup or sauce after mounting with butter or cream if you continue to simmer. How to identify if the you "break" the sauce you will notice a "curdled" look to the top or liquid(y) fat on top. To fix this just add more of what you used and whisk in with the flame off until the look of break goes away.

SpecialSka added over 3 years ago

Thnx, ChefDaddy. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Makes total sense.

ChefDaddy added over 3 years ago

Glad to be of service, have a great snow day and enjoy your soup!