🔎

How to measure half an egg for a recipe

I'm making half of cake recipe, the full version of which calls for 3 eggs. What is the correct way to measure half an egg?

Shl
BubbaQ added about 3 years ago

A large egg is approximately 3 tablespoons: 2 tablespoons of egg whites, and 1 tablespoon of yolk. I would beat the egg in a small bowl, then measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons). Or, you could weigh the beaten egg on a kitchen scale (zeroing out the weight of the bowl, of course!) and just use half of it by weight.

Shl
Steven Lederman added about 3 years ago

Thanks so much, BuubaQ. I'm halving the recipe to make cupcakes for my niece's birthday. She'll be very happy.

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

I wouldn't agonize. Pick your two smallest eggs and go with that!

Scan0004
susan g added about 3 years ago

I'd follow innoabrd, but in this way: Combine the liquid volume of egg + milk (or whatever's in the recipe), put the eggs in a measuring cup and add the other liquid ingredient to come up to 1/2 the total.

Soozll added about 3 years ago

I just use the egg yolk when I need half an egg.

Dsc00037
rebeccatheduck added about 3 years ago

Most recipes assume that your egg weighs about 50g. Just beat the egg and take 25g.