🔔
🔎

What's the best way to handle very sticky scone dough? Turned out OK, but could have been prettier.

I made mini buttermilk scones from a King Arthur recipe, and had a tough time dealing with the sticky dough. The idea was to cut the dough into mini scones and bake them as discrete pieces. Mine were scored but I could not separate them. I ended up baking for a while, then cutting and baking more. They do taste great and the texture is fine.

asked by SpecialSka almost 4 years ago
Kay_at_lake

Did you use King Arthur flour? If you used a different one, it might have made a difference in the consistency. My standard for sticky dough is to knead in a bit more flour.

Monica

IV

Monica

I've had luck using wet hands to smooth the tops. Also try not to handle any more than absolutely necessary.

Let your dough sit a couple of minutes so the flour can absorb some of the moisture. Dump it onto a floured surface and sprinkle a little flour on top. Gently press it out with your hands and fold it over on itself using a bench scraper or spatula, about six folds. Gently press it out again to desired thickness (I use 3/4 to an inch thickness) and cut it with a bench scraper or the side of a knife or round cutter, then lift it, with the spatula, onto your parchment lined baking pan. When I say gently, I mean don't crush the lumps in the dough, just press it down lightly, it'll give easily and won't be overworked.

Thanks! I did use KAF and tried the water on the hands trick. Sort of helped. I think next time I will fold in a bit more flour and see how it goes. These things were pretty good despite the dough problem.

When I've had this problem, just add in some more dough - seems to be affected by how soft the butter I think. What I do with normal size scones is break the dough into chunks and roll into a ball with well floured hands, then press down to make a round in one hand, and using a butter knife, cut it into four slices like a pie, and place directly on the parchment paper. That way I don't have to deal with trying to get the sticky dough off the counter.