🔎

• 5

• 1019

A question about a recipe: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs" from amanda.

I've never purchased Madeira and see there are various types. Any suggestions for this recipe?

5349824048_0f7d18165a_z
Gator_cake

I'd go dry madeira or substitute dry sherry.

Sunshine-small

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I actually just made this recipe a few weeks ago. What kind of Madeira did I use? The $20 bottle they handed me in the liquor store when I asked for a bottle of Madeira to use while braising short ribs.

I know that's a lame answer, but when it comes to cooking with liquor, I long ago learned that the flavors seem to show up in broad strokes so the details don't matter so much.

chez danisse added about 3 years ago

Peter, Well, if it's lame then I'm lame too. I pretty much took the same route you traveled while selecting my Madeira and my wine for this recipe. I think I was a little nervous because cooking meat is a rarity for me. Braising is taking place as I type. Hopefully they will taste as good as they smell. Thanks, Denise

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You can also use marsala if you can't find madeira.

chez danisse added about 3 years ago

I found the Madeira -- all set.