A question about a recipe: Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs

5349824048_0f7d18165a_z

I have a question about the recipe "Dan Barber's Braised Short Ribs" from amanda.

I've never purchased Madeira and see there are various types. Any suggestions for this recipe?

asked by chez danisse over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

I'd go dry madeira or substitute dry sherry.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I actually just made this recipe a few weeks ago. What kind of Madeira did I use? The $20 bottle they handed me in the liquor store when I asked for a bottle of Madeira to use while braising short ribs.

I know that's a lame answer, but when it comes to cooking with liquor, I long ago learned that the flavors seem to show up in broad strokes so the details don't matter so much.

Peter, Well, if it's lame then I'm lame too. I pretty much took the same route you traveled while selecting my Madeira and my wine for this recipe. I think I was a little nervous because cooking meat is a rarity for me. Braising is taking place as I type. Hopefully they will taste as good as they smell. Thanks, Denise

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

You can also use marsala if you can't find madeira.

I found the Madeira -- all set.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet