🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Shrimp Gumbo

030111f_432

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Shrimp Gumbo" from drbabs. It says:

"Stir in the onions, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few turns of freshly-ground pepper. Stir well. Cover dutch oven and let vegetables cook in roux until softened."

Cook the garlic for all that time? How does that not over-brown (let alone burn) the garlic? Especially since it's been put through a press. I wouldn't put the garlic in until later.

asked by DAVILCHICK over 3 years ago
Image

Hi Davilchick--I think that the garlic doesn't burn because it's on really low heat and the vegetables all give off a lot of liquid. But you could certainly add the garlic later. And you might want more garlic. I have personal issues with garlic (I love it; it hates me.) so I use it sparingly.

Buddhacat

As drbabs says, garlic won't burn because the vegetables give off a lot of liquid. I often saute spinach, adding the spinach after the garlic has softened in the olive oil. The garlic seasons the spinach, as well as the olive oil. Used to live in New Orleans, and I miss it. Enjoy your gumbo!

Avatar-460-white
Food52

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

We concur with drbabs -- since the pot is covered and it's cooked over medium-low heat, the vegetables "sweat" and soften rather than caramelize and risk over-browning.

As a gumbophiliac I'm on the same page wit y'all. Garlic won't burn in that context.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

You may want to try leaving the garlic whole. Then once the dish has cooked, mash it against the side of the pot with a spoon.