OUR NEWEST BOOKS, VEGAN AND BAKING, ARE AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER! RESERVE YOURS »

Can Bok Choy be substituted for Napa Cabbage?

I have never tried either Bok Choy or Napa Cabbage. My DH bought Bok Choy for a recipe he wants to make. I want to make the Minestrone Soup by Foodwriter 97426 which calls for Napa Cabbage. Can I substitute one for the other? Thanks for your advice.

asked by nanaB over 4 years ago
153e100a-284f-4c64-a3cc-72ac1de69d2d--zester_003

Bok choy and nappa are two different flavors and textures, while it would be an odd addition to a minestrone it might work. You won't know until you try it.

Cd43665f-a440-42cf-8e2d-fc584497a56f--dsc_0012a_poster_800x536_

I really think it depends on your dish. If it is a stir fry then I would say go for it! I love them both and would be happy with either in most dishes.

23b88974-7a89-4ef5-a567-d442bb75da04--avatar

While Boy Chow won't be out of place in vegetable soup, it won't impart the same quality to the soup as the Napa Cabbage. I would go out and buy Napa (or even regular) cabbage. Make the Minestrone. Then with the Bok Choy, cook it as a side dish later in the week. You can slicde in 1-1/2 inch lengths and saute in a little sesame oil adding the white parts first, then the tender greens toward the end. You can sprinkle with a little soy sauce, and a little chicken stock is fine too if you want to steam it along. You are aiming for a crisp, tender finished dish. This is good in stir fries too, alongside any asian type noodle dish.