🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Lamb Merguez

030811f_560

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Lamb Merguez" from MrsWheelbarrow. It says:

"Dip your hands in ice water as you form the sausage patties. Chill the patties again if you are not going to cook them right away. Grill the merguez coils for 10-12 minutes, total, turning once. "

What "coils"? I thought they were (and in the photo, are) patties.

asked by DAVILCHICK over 3 years ago
Stonecutting_32

I was confused by this step too, but here's my interpretation:
Merguez is a type of sausage and usually comes in the long, skinny sausage form. I think what the author is going for here is that you form the meat into long, thin ropes, then coil the ropes into patty shape. If you look closely at the photo, it seems like there's a small hole in the center of each patty which is what you would get if you made a small coil. That said, if the coils are too time intensive and/or they fall apart, you could probably just shape the meat into patties.

Hope this helps! This answer is only my best guess, but hopefully it's not too far off base :-)

Cathybarrow_allrecipes_%c2%a9_2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a trusted source on Pickling/Preserving.

I'm sorry for any confusion. The beauty of merguez is it can easily be served as a patty or as a coiled sausage. To form the patties, use ice water cooled hands. Or, if you want to make a coil, use sheep casings (they are thinner than pork), and a sausage stuffer, to make a coil. Patties will cook in a few minutes - it's easy to tell when they are cooked through - but if you decide to make a coil, they will require 12 minutes or so to cook through.

Cathybarrow_allrecipes_%c2%a9_2014
MrsWheelbarrow

Also, please note, there is a second photo of the coiled sausage.