Looking for your best wild game recipe

I recently had a problem with a wild critter of some sort getting into the attic of my creaky old victorian. After a number of visits from the exterminator we finally caught him in one of those spring-lever door traps.

I’m not good with denizens of the wild so I’m not sure what I’m looking at... a squirrel? A raccoon? Maybe it’s a possum? (I know it’s not a skunk because he doesn’t smell.)

Anyway, the exterminator tells me that if I release him he’ll likely come right back to his nest. I’d hate to kill him for no reason -- can anyone recommend a good wild game recipe? If it helps I have plenty of carrots and fennel on hand and it looks like he’d fin in my largest old Lodge dutch oven.

asked by 7thFloorFan over 4 years ago

mrslarkin posted this one about a year ago; i'm sure it's delicious.

Peep this guy out. Also you can hit him up on twitter. Good source.

Racoon burgers are good, and possum stew is okay--the fennel will really make it. (That's real experience talking, but now I'm out the door--no more Food52 until April 2.)

This recipe for partridge should work for "your wild game".