🔎

What can I do with leftover braising liquid from when I made carnitas?

Screen_shot_2011-04-13_at_8.28.51_pm
Merrill

I might suggest reducing it to make a sauce. Or, you could use it to cook beans. What specifically is in the liquid?

I was thinking along the bean line too. Maybe turn it into a black bean soup.

Screen_shot_2011-04-13_at_8.28.51_pm
veronicachan added about 3 years ago

I was going for Mexican flavors, so cumin, cayenne, adobo, and orange juice. What kind of dish do you think would accompany the reduced sauce well?

Merrill

Carnitas! (Just kidding.) Although, it does sound like a sauce meant for pork to me. Or how about some roasted chicken thighs?

Screen_shot_2011-04-13_at_8.28.51_pm
veronicachan added about 3 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards making a black bean soup, but roasted chicken thighs with carnitas sauce sounds awesome too. Thanks merrill and boulangere!

sarah k. added about 3 years ago

Soup made from that sauce sounds delicious. I usually just keep cooking the stuff, with the meat in and the lid off, until it condenses and the meat is juicy, rather than soupy. My mom sometimes puts it on a baking sheet and sort of roasts it in the oven, stirring often, to the same effect. I could probably just drink the stuff.

Lucky you, and bon appetit!