🔔
🔎

Are anise seeds the same as fennel seeds?

asked by WeeklyGreens over 4 years ago
3639eee1-5e0d-4861-b1ed-149bd0559f64--gator_cake

Nope. Similar flavor, but different. Fennel is milder IMO than anise.

A4be8827-f5cb-451f-a922-874bbf7f1aae--wg_logo_rgb_lowres

Thanks to you both. I love that you people are up at this hour thinking about these things just like I am. Crazy food people unite!

Amanda, I look forward to being able to buy just the few tablespoons of fennel seeds I need at the new Rockville WFM. Yippee!

27e464b9-6273-420b-9546-d6ed6ae12929--anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

No. I found this out last month when I was developing my recipe for basil ice cream. Basil itself was not enough to make the ice cream taste "basil-y" so I added some ground seeds I found in the kitchen for some of that extra licorice flavor that basil has. It was the perfect touch! I had labeled the container "aniseed" but the chef told me the next day it was actually fennel seed.

As a vegan, I love to use fennel to make things taste like sausage. Aniseed is stronger and sweeter and I like toasting the seeds in a warm pan before using them in a recipe. Another look-alike is caraway. They are the smallest of all those seeds and are most often used to flavor rye bread.