A question about a recipe: Roasted Cauliflower with Gremolata Bread Crumbs

I have a question about step 3 on the recipe "Roasted Cauliflower with Gremolata Bread Crumbs" from TheThinChef. It says:

"Spread cauliflower out on 2 large, rimmed baking sheets. Roast until edges start to brown, about 20 minutes, stirring halfway through."

My cauliflower came out soggy and limp not crisp -- what did I do wrong?

asked by Cobra over 4 years ago

Cobra, the only thing I can think of is if the cauliflower was crowded on the pans, causing it to steam instead of roast. It should be tender, but not soggy, and just the edges should be crisp. Hope that helps...

I agree with TheThinChef. Make sure the cauliflower is not crowded, and there is plenty of room between the 2 pans for air circulation. Also check your oven temp w/ a thermometer, it may run cold.

I agree that your oven may run cold and the cauliflower may have been too crowded, but also, did you try to cut back on the oil? Because you need the oil to essentially oven fry the cauliflower; otherwise you could just be steaming it.