🔎

• 4

• 862

A question about a recipe: Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon

I have a question about the recipe "Individual Sweet Potato Gratins with Creme Fraiche, Onions, and Bacon" from apartmentcooker. what is Creme Fraiche and is there a good substitute?

Sweet_potato
3-bizcard

Creme fraiche is similar to sour cream. Has a sour taste is very creamy. I'm sure if you cannot find creme fraiche that sour cream would be a good substitute.

JeanineAAA added almost 3 years ago

Thank You so Much!! Sdebrango for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Have an awesome weekend, J

Barb
Miafoodie added almost 3 years ago

I think that Creme Fraiche is similar to sour cream mixed with whipped cream.
This is what gives you the sour but creamy taste.

It's very easy to make your own creme fraiche. I cup of heavy cream whisked with 1 tablespoon of buttermilk. If you are lucky enough to have access to an oven with a pilot light, set your mixture in it. If now, Pour your mixture into a glass jar, wrap with a heating pad (I'm not kidding), and secure with large rubber bands for 24 hours. You'll have wonderful creme fraiche.