🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

A question about a recipe: Mocha Chip Ice Cream

47_thumb

I have a question about the recipe "Mocha Chip Ice Cream" from The Constant Gardener. I'm relatively new at making ice cream -- may I ask what the baking powder does for the recipe? I haven't seen that before and I'm curious.

asked by Melusine over 3 years ago

The baking soda is going to react with the chocolate and coffee (powder or grounds), both of which are acidic, to create CO2, thereby lightening the whole compound. Don't leave it out!

Thank you -- that makes sense now.

This was some of the best coffee ice cream in the known universe; certainly the best I've ever made. My boyfriend is visiting -- he's been living in Senegal for a few months, and has been good-ice-cream deprived, and coffee ice cream is his favorite. I gave him a smorgasbord of chocolate to choose from, and he was in heaven.

How wonderful for both of you!