🔔
🔎

What is the best non-stick skillet?

Think, everyday use by teenagers for fried eggs, quesadillas, veggies sauteed quickly for various quick meals they make for themselves . . . . I know non-stick pans don't last forever, but we'd all like to find one with good even heat, and which will hold up to this kind of constant use. Thank you! ;o)

asked about 4 years ago
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Thank you!! This is great. I had a ScanPan about twenty years ago, which was probably burned to death, a fate that inevitably befalls the less hardy pots, pans and utensils that find their way into my kitchen. I do remember it was a good pan. The technology no doubt has changed over the years, so I look forward to getting another one. Thanks again. ;o)

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Considering the various health concerns related to the non-stick coatings, maybe the best non-stick pan would be a plain old cast iron one? With constant use it would actually end up having an excellent non-stick surface and they're basically impossible to permanently ruin.

Pic

That's the idea with scanpan, they dont have a coating, just a very special manufacturing product.... They are the only ones I've found with this type of technique.

Buddhacat

What non-stick skillet did you choose, AJ? Have been searching for one.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Actually, I got a small Cuisinart one for the boys' omelets and similar uses, only because it was most convenient at the time. It's held up really well, but I'll probably buy a ScanPan to replace the very large non-stick skillet I use regularly. But now, with sdebrango's recent post, I'll probably investigate bodum as well. Thank you, everyone, for the input!! ;o)

3-bizcard

I am so sorry, I said bodum had french press on the brain its berndes a German brand and its the best. I have one othere piece by berndes and both have lasted for years with virtually no wear and tear.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

I use an an All-Clad non stick and rinse and wipe after eery use - not sure how you're kids are with cleaning up : ), but I've heard like the others for the price Scan is great!

3-bizcard

Thanks for asking this, I have never heard of scan pan went to their website and it sounds impressive. When my current pans are no longer usable i am going to give scan pan a try. That said I have several different types. The have all clad which are very good, but have 2 bodum pans my large covered saute pan by bodum is 15 years old and still going strong. Its too large for everyday use so it doesn't get the wear and tear of my 8 and 10 inch pans but over the years have used it countless times and there is barely a scratch on it.

3-bizcard

Made a mistake its berndes not bodum!!!

I love my old cast iron skillet for all that you mentioned. They come in different sizes, but I find the 2 I have can co it all!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

I have an all clad & a cuisinart non stick which I use only if absolutely necessary . Thanks for the info about the scanpan, the first time I'm hearing about this

The T-Fel professional one got the best marks in Cook Illustrated for lower cost pans.
Remember, it's the 'professional" line which according to Amazon reviews can be difficult to find in brick and mortar stores. I ordered one (about 30 bucks I think) and have been very happy with it.

I'd have to go with Peter, here we have Lodge and Le Creuset and both are indestructible and fairly non-stick.

scan pan for sure. just bought one for my twenty something son. Le Creuset is too heavy, not really non stick and the bottom can burn. I love Le Creuset, but don't think its what you want for your purpose.