How do I keep my fried egg from not sticking in my all clad frying pan?

using my skillet

asked by Karenmwaters almost 3 years ago
Merrill

Assuming this it's a regular stainless steel skillet (i.e. not non-stick), you could try frying the eggs in olive oil -- a technique we love here at FOOD52 (makes the whites nice and crispy): http://www.food52.com/recipes... Whatever you do, you'll need to make sure you use plenty of fat (butter, oil) so the white doesn't stick to the pan.

Thank you, and yes, it not a non stick. I was using ghee, which must be the problem.

Photo

I use ghee to fry my eggs all the time, and have done it in every kind of pan, so I don't think that's your problem.

Scan0004

Too hot or not hot enough can make things stick. Sometimes it's best to use black cast iron, which is a natural no-stick when it is used and loved.

My eggs don't stick in my cast iron, but I do use butter too. I prefer nonstick for eggs.

Family_feb2012_-_version_2

When I first got my all-clad saute pan, I had to get used to using a slightly lower temperature than I had been used to. They conduct heat so well that the slightly lower heat gets the job done in the same time as higher heat with my Calphalon pans.

Buddhacat

Wholly agree with garlic&lemon. I cook at a lower heat, medium low on my electric stove. (Sigh-Santa did not bring gas lines to my neighborhood for Christmas.) Also, I read somewhere that cooking eggs at a lower heat means they don't absorb as much oil, and I have adopted this interpretation as the truth!

Love my All-Clad!

thank you--very helpful!

thank you--very helpful!

so informative--but I wonder do the eggs get browned with a Scanpan? I agree, I do not use those non stick teflon coated pans.

PFP

I vote with Susan g -- for eggs, whether fried or scrambled, use a well seasoned cast iron pan. They really give the best results. I love All Clad and back when I was teaching cooking recommended it to my students as the best all around cookware. But there is no one pan that fits all cooking needs. I agree with Jelly that the titanium and ceramic pans are preferable to teflon for non stick pans, but even so, I prefer cast iron for eggs. With a well seasoned pan you need use only a very little fat and gently cook scrambled eggs for a tender and creamy result and absolutely no sticking or ramp up the heat --- and again, not very much fat or oil -- and get fried eggs which have a crispy bottom and edge and yet a tender top and runny yolk. Save the All Clad for what it is best at -- sauteing.

A little butter in the scanpan will give the fried eggs a golden color

I usually give my All Clad pan a swipe of olive oil when cooking my eggs, but when I want to be really decadent I cook then in bacon fat. Not the most healthy way to cook anything, but nothing tastes better than an egg fried in bacon fat til the edges are brown and crispy.