Miso soup ingredients

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 3 years ago
5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Miso paste, tofu, seaweed, chopped green onion, dashi (fish stock, optional). For the most basic miso soup, dissolve about 1tsp miso paste per 1cup hot water. Do not let your water boil or the soup will never separate and clear. Add tofu and heat till hot. Toss in seaweed and green onion right before serving. If you use dashi, either use that in place of the water or dilute it with water at the beginning.

You can make a quick dashi by simmering dried bonito and a little bit of seaweed in water. Then strain and add the rest of the miso soup ingredients as Syronai instructs. You can buy bonito at Whole Foods and there are instructions on the package for proper ratios.

Instant Dashi. "Aji-Dashi" is available in powdered form and honestly is just fine. You can simmer a bit of kombu seaweed in it if you wish. Unlike instant chicken/beef stock it's pretty honest to the homemade version.

For the miso: I tend to prefer red miso..but that isn't common. White miso is commonly used--so stay with that. Make the stock..and put a tsp or more of miso paste in the serving bowl..use a fork to and a tablespoon of stock to break it up.

The other additions (tofu, mushrooms, green onions, etc) I add to the bowl and pour the hot stock over the softened miso.

I find this tech much better than making a big pot as you can adjust for each bowl. And the stock stores better in the 'fridge-- to save, re-heat and deploy as needed in bowls.

Scan0004

The caution about not boiling once the miso is in the soup: the beneficial organisms in the miso won't survive boiling temperatures. The technique Sam1148 uses looks just right -- I'm switching.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Watch me make the easiest vegan miso soup in this video! http://www.vimeo.com/9197988...

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet