🔔
🔎

I recently bought (in Chinatown) a jar of "Shrimp Paste," which consists of fermented shrimp and salt, period. It's used in a Malaysian curry sauce recipe I saw which intrigues me, so I bought some. How else does one use it? General ideas or specific recipes would be most appreciated. Thank you! ;o)

asked about 4 years ago
Dsc_0048b

I have just been reading a new cookbook called The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook by Patricia Tanumihardia which is filled with recipes and stories and what she terms "home cooking from Asian American Kitchens." She lists several types of shrimp paste in her "pantry" and has recipes using the type you describe. One recipe in particular is for Water Spinach with Shrimp Paste and Chilies. Tanumihardia says you can sub asparagus, okra, spinach and several other veg in the recipe. Let me know by separate message if you can't get a hold of the book/recipe and would like it. I haven't gotten farther along in the book yet, so don't know if there are more

S

My nanny is Indian and she uses shrimp paste when she makes what we call Radhica's Bean, green beans, garlic, pototo, turmeric, red pepper flake, and yup, shrimp paste. It's delicious.

Kay_at_lake

It makes a great base note for a crostini with some kind of ceviche piled on top.

Ooh

It's wonderful in Thai soups, or anything that needs salt and a complicated fishy note at the bottom. I also add it to Thai curry (coconut milk, curry paste, shrimp paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic...)