🔎

What are your favorite methods for drying fresh herbs?

Jampro
Ooh
Serene added over 3 years ago

I tie them with twine or a bread tie, then hang them from a coat hanger in my kitchen. Kind of like this picture, but on a hanger: http://www.bestdryingrack...

There are not too many fresh herbs that improve by drying. Oregano is better dried, as well as its cousin marjoram. Tarragon maybe....After those, what??

Savorykitchen added over 3 years ago

totally easy - roll them in tulle/netting and set aside in a warm place - I use the top of my fridge.

Although I have to admit I don't dry many fresh herbs. I prefer putting them into vinegar (to make great flavored vinegars) or freezing in ice cubes.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Not an answer to your question, but an alternative. I freeze fresh herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc. on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, then store each separately in a zipper freezer bag. I strip the larger leaves, like basiI, off before freezing. Retains their aroma/flavor this way.

Desert
anyone added over 3 years ago

Since you already have some great advice, If you have an abundance like me this is the time of year I infuse a gallon or two of olive oil for winter use. You find so many ways to use it and if done right can replace the need for herbs. Stuff a pot full of your favorite MIxture ( mine being rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage) add a few or alot of garlic cloves and fill with oil bring it up to temp and let it go for hours. Infusion happens between 180-200F.The result is the most flavorful olive oil that gives great flavor to all meats, good for dipping or adding to bread dough and sauces.

Image

I don't know if this is the ideal method, but I recently needed dried mint for this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes... and I only had fresh, so I toasted the leaves in the oven on low heat till they dried, and it worked out fine. Otherwise, I freeze herbs like mrslarkin and make herb-infused olive oil also like donnyg.

adamnsvetcooking added over 3 years ago

In our old house we have a solarium, and we used to dry herbs there. Laying them out on a cookie sheet and placing the herbs in an area that gets a lot of sun works very nice. If you roll them in a bundle make sure that the herbs don't get wet, you don't want to get mold to grow

tjioe_chi added over 3 years ago

I tie them up with twine/floss and hang them from my cabinet knobs. Then bottle in old spice bottles.

Jampro
Bevi added over 3 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas - I am trying all of them.