My Basket ()

Has anyone tried substituting anchovy syrup for nam pla ( thai fish sauce) in any recipe ( traditional or otherwise) ?

Answer »

Amanda is a co-founder of Food52.

added over 3 years ago

Where do you get anchovy syrup? I've never heard of it.

porchapples added over 3 years ago


porchapples added over 3 years ago

I bought some and now am trying to find ways to use it.

porchapples added over 3 years ago

( it is traditionally used in Italian cuisine, e.g. tossed with pasta or as a substitute for anchovies, though I haven't a clue as to how much to use)

Gale added over 3 years ago

Its also called 'garum' - it's the same idea as nam pla but more intense. Zingerman's in Ann Arbor also carries it. It's interesting stuff with a very long history; fermenting little fish has been going on a long time. Use a light hand - you can always add a bit more.

Jon Palmer added over 3 years ago

I believe anchovy syrup is also called "colatura," and can be found in small bottles (usually 200mL or so) in stores that carry a lot of specialty food ingredients. I know one can find it online at zingermans.com, which has been featured in Food52 in their "The Shop" section several times. I have been extremely satisfied with products ordered from Zingerman's.

No need to email me as additional
answers are added to this question.