what is substitute for Thai fish sauce or flavor?

asked by murraydvm almost 4 years ago

Fish sauce is really unique. My first thought was to substitute Vietmanese fish sauce, lol. Can I first ask why you want a sub for it? Don't want to go to store? or are you vegan or somehting? I'd give different answers. And what are you making?

Dsc03010

If you need a substitute either because you're vegetarian/vegan or because you don't have access to a local grocery that carries it, try using soy sauce. You'll get the desired saltiness, but will lose a little depth of flavor.

If you're vegetarian, check out this book titled "Real Vegetarian Thai":
http://www.amazon.com/exec...

I haven't found a kosher fish sauce so would love ideas for substitutes (what to add to soy sauce to make it into a fish sauce?); a source of a kosher fish sauce or a recipe of how to make one from scratch (shellfish free).

Cooking Light recipe for Thai Beef Salad calls for both soy sauce (lower sodium) and Thai Fish sauce. I have the soy sauce not the Thai Fish sauce. Did not know how important it would be to leave out or do I need substitute?

I'm sure you will still have a nice dish if you leave it out, but Fish Sauce give a crazy unique funky flavor. I might use soy sauce for the fish sauce and add a little dab of anchovy paste. I guess your dish will have a little something missing just like if you made a Ceasar salad without anchovies or anchovy paste. You'll be missing some Umami.

Wait a minute, I don't know why fish sauce would not be kosher or pareve as there is no shellfish (although the best lable is Three Crabs, I can't explain that). The essential component is fermented anchovy. Kind of like worcestershire sauce.

Hi Pierino, yep, should be kosher theoretically, but I haven't found one (yet?) that is certified kosher.

Allie

There is not shell fish in the fish sauce you are talking about typically.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

To substitute Thai Fish sauce try Worcestershire sauce and some anchovy paste (or minced). It should mimic the umami that fish sauce contains and impart a little of that fishy flavor that well makes fish sauce.

Swimming_with_the_dolphins

Fish_mint Ok - Here's the JACKPOT answer- A vietnamese herb- heart shaped ( I happen to grow it) called FISH MINT ( DAP CA) .When you pick it and rub it between your fingers it exudes a fish smell- totally weird but it smells like fish

Hilary_sp1

Here is a recipe for vegan fish sauce. http://www.thekitchn.com...

It looks pretty easy to make. Good luck!

I think you'll miss the fish sauce in that dish if you leave it out. It won't taste "Thai" just salty.

Is this for the dressing? I have made one with 1/3 c lime juice, couple of chilies,garlic 2 T brown sugar, 1 T water, 1 T fish sauce, mint and cilantro.. I don't think soy sauce is a good addition if it's something like that. .

Is this for a marinade? I gave up marinating steak for this kind of dish because the dressing made everything plenty good.