🔔
🔎

How long will homemade hummus keep in the fridge?

I just made a huge batch - my first and I'm wondering what took me so long since it's leaps and bounds better than the stuff I've been paying five bucks for at the grocery store -- and I'm wondering about its fridge life..?

asked by Midge over 3 years ago
Wine

certainly a week. maybe two?

Summer_2010_1048

Thank you the professor!!

I have a batch in the fridge that is on it's 8th day and it, as of right now, still tastes great!

Scan0004

I put a week's worth in the fridge, then freeze the rest in similar amounts.

Summer_2010_1048

Thanks everyone! Never thought about freezing it susan g but I may give it a try.

Junechamp

I've never thought of freezing it, either. But I have discovered it keeps fresher longer if you store it in glass rather than plastic.

ChefJune I never thought of that but I will definitely start trying it. I was already planning on making some tonight too.

I have found that as long as I make 2 cups or less we can consume the hummus before it goes bad, usually with in 10 days

Scan0004

I just remembered an accidental discovery -- once when I had no lemons, I used cider vinegar instead, and the hommus seemed to last longer. It's a different taste, but a good alternative. Another thought: I have looked at many recipes for hommus, and the amount of lemon juice can vary a good bit. In my standard recipe (found in Gourmet magazine, in a letter, years ago) there is 1/3 cup lemon juice to 2 cups of chick peas (cooked). Since the acid must act as a preservative, I assume this upper end amount helps keep it fresh. And, lately I've been playing with preserved lemon in lieu of fresh juice -- that may also help.

Summer_2010_1048

Ooh I have to try preserved lemon next time. I actually used lime juice in mine since I had no lemons and it came out great.

Dsc_0048b

I make mine with preserved lemon now and I love it this way!

Jc_profilepic

I should have read this first before posting my recent question.

Bigpan

WOW ... You don't eat it all right away !
I've kept it in the fridge with no problem for two weeks. It is also very nice served warm ... put in the nuker for a few moments and top with some Moroccan spices ... very nice.

Dsc_0122.nef-1

4-6 days., I've never tried to keep it beyond that.

about 1 week I never tried to keep it longer than that

don't try to keep it in longer than 1 week or else it will rot.
1 week is maximum.

Dsc_0034

I just made my first batch a few days ago and store 2 portions in the freezer, since it worked great for my pestos, fruit butters etc

I'd say a week or less, especially if you double dip !!!!!

2 days

Try damping a paper towel with lemon or lime juice and spread it across the top of your hummus, inside the container. This prevents staleness and browning. This keeps for a few days longer. Also works with guacamole