A question about a recipe: Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere

060711f_592

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere" from amanda. It says:

"Place the squash in a pretty 9-by-9-inch (or equivalent) gratin dish (I used a skillet). Scatter the remaining breadcrumbs over the top, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, until the squash is tender and the top is crisp."

Any reason I can't do this as a tart? I'm thinking a millet tart crust...

asked by TheWimpyVegetarian about 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Yes, you can definitely do it as a tart!

Me

Thanks! I'm thinking this is dinner tonight with a big salad! Now I can't wait for dinner.

What an excellent idea! I planed to make this weekend. Now, I'm thinking it might be a tart.
Would you think docking and prebaking the crust a good thing with high moisture content of the squash?

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Sam1148 -- yes that's a good idea.

Maybe add a beaten egg to bind the mixture for easier cutting and solidify the squash juices.

Gator_cake

How did your tart turnout?

Me

The tart turned out great, HLA! I just made the filling as the recipe calls for and put it in a blind-baked tart shell. Great presentation and flavors! I'll be making this one a lot this summer, I can tell. I highly recommend it!