Shana

Did you add a cold liquid? I've never been able to recover it.

100_1685

No. stirred warm cream / choc mixture and suddenly seized! Tried adding bit of butter (which works with just chocolate) but not with this --

chocolate often seizes when it comes into contact with a bit of water. you could also try a bit of veg oil, but frankly, I've never had much luck saving seized chocolate.

Dsc00426

there's a counterintuitive trick where you add a teaspoon of water at a time and stir it with the seized chocolate until it smooths out. the chocolate won't be as thick, so it might or might not work as a frosting, but you can turn it into a chocolate sauce instead and avoid wasting good chocolate.

No, sorry, once it has seized it is on its way out the door. How hot did you get your cream?

Does seizing mean the chocolate has hardened?

Dg_madeleine_no_glasses_by_david_lebovitz
Dorie Greenspan

Dorie is a food writer and award-winning author of ten cookbooks, her most recent being Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours.

mnr_t -- so sorry for you, seized chocolate is such a sad thing, but there are so many good answers here.

As innoabrd said, chocolate usually seizes when it comes in contact with water -- even the steam from the double-boiler that you're using to melt the chocolate can cause finicky chocolate to seize.

And I would have asked you what Chef Shana Rachel asked: did you add cold cream?

Sometimes, if you don't add enough hot liquid at once, the chocolate can seize. And some chocolates are more difficult to ganache-ize than others. Chocolates with very high percentages of cacoa can often be a challange, although the problem is usually that the chocolate and cream separate (kind of the opposite of seizing).

As vvanessa mentions, there's the water trick, sometimes used to 'bring back' mayonnaise that doesn't come together. (And really, mayonnaise and ganache are not all that different -- they're both emulsions of fat-rich ingredients.) You add a little bit of hot water to the ganache, stir, pray, then add a little more. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

And yes, happcao, seizing means that the chocolate hardens, but in an unpleasant way.

100_1685

Thanks for all helpful and knowledgeable answers! The cream was warm, but not boiling (tho i have accidentally done THAT before with no ill effects.) Guessing that the wrench might be high-cacao bittersweet chocolate bar that I included because I was short on unsweetened chocolate. (This feels like True Confessions :D)
Anyway, even the hot watert trick did not rescue, but I totally appreciate all the suggestions! And I now know to mix chocolate with caution!!

Dsc03010

I don't know when or where I learned this, but I've been following this procedure for ganache and truffles for 40 years and have never had a problem: heat the cream to almost boiling, add the chopped or grated chocolate to it, walk away for a couple minutes while the chocolate absorbs the heat from the cream, then stir it together. Don't add vanilla, butter or anything else until the cream and the chocolate are smooth.

The times my chocolate has seized occurred when I was using unsweetened chocolate to make brownies or frosting, when I had melted it in a double boiler (Who ever would have guessed that rising steam would fall back into the pot? Not me.), or when I poured it into melted butter (Every once in a while, I realize too late that butter contains water.) On those occasions, I was able to save it by adding boiling water a spoonful at a time and stirring like mad in between each addition.

Thank you thank you thank you for this post. I remembered reading this post recently and sought it out. This just happened to me! My ganache seized for the second time using El Rey 73% (did not know the higher percentage could contribute until I read Dorie's post- always made ganache with 60%-never had a problem) so I followed Dorie's advice and added hot water tsp by tsp and stirred like the dickens and it smoothed out! Oily mess gone! Ganache saved. THANK YOU !!!

Stringio

Had the same problem with 72% chocolate which I never use for ganache (well, almost never, so it seems). Added some boiling water and stirred for a while. Beautiful, shining ganache! :)

All suggestions are good, I would add do this over a double boiler( have a small pot of water simmering and put the ganache in a metal or glass bow ontop) to slowly heat the entire mixture while mixing.