How do you make pickles

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 3 years ago
Ozoz_profile

Some people use a warm, spiced vinegar solution but my favourite is a salt-caster sugar mix. Toss sliced veggies (Carrots, cucumbers, peppers, radishes) in a mix of equal parts fine seal salt and caster sugar. I'd advice not mixing the veggies but pickling one sort at a time. Leave to sit for 10 minutes or till some liquid has been extracted from the vegetables, they've softened and the sugar-salt seasoning has penetrated. Feel free to add spices to the pickling mix to add additional flavours. Then rinse off and use. Can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours.

Scan0004

That's page 1 of 19 pages of pickle recipes on food52. And they all look great!

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

There are many different recipes for pickles. There are several different types. Most are either done in a brine or in a vinager solution. A brined pickle is left to ferment like a sauerkraut. A vinegar based pickle can either be done in a canner, or as a quick pickle that you refridgerate and eat right away. I always refer to my really old Fannie Farmer & Good Housekeeping for some great old fashioned pickle recipes.