A question about a recipe: Hard Cooked Eggs, Lime Aioli and Dukkah

Aioli_toast_052311

I have a question about the recipe "Hard Cooked Eggs, Lime Aioli and Dukkah" from AntoniaJames. Grains of paradise? I beg enlightenment, and thank you.

asked by Polly Husted about 3 years ago
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

It's an interesting, flavorful spice, somewhat peppery in character. Here is a link to a food[ickle thread with a lot more detail, including a link to an article by Amanda Hesser in the New York Times:

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

You can use a good black pepper, freshly ground, in this recipe if you don't have grains of paradise. I've tried it both ways; the dukkah was delicious with the black pepper. ;o)

Buddhacat

Grains of paradise add a distinctive flavor, and are worth seeking out.

Well goodness, I've got to find this provocative ingredient. Hopefully, Whole Foods or Central Market has it. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I've ordered it from the World Spice Merchants, through The Shop on food52. I haven't been able to find it from any of my usual local sources. The grains of paradise I purchased from World Spice Merchants are delightful, however, and well worth the trouble of ordering online. The spice is well suited for a dukkah, in which the seeds, nuts, and spices are freshly ground and eaten directly, i.e., not mixed in with cooked ingredients. ;o)

Buddhacat

One of the things I love about foodpickle is I have started using spices and herbs that I have not known about. Google spices and your city and you will find a place that sells what you want. I don't know where you live, maybe Texas. Most likely Central Market and definitely Whole Foods won't have the spice. The joy of walking into a place that is committed to selling spices and the education it entails is a gift. I