🔎

• 5

• 934

• See other questions tagged:
    • dukkah

A question about a recipe: Hard Cooked Eggs, Lime Aioli and Dukkah

I have a question about the recipe "Hard Cooked Eggs, Lime Aioli and Dukkah" from AntoniaJames. Grains of paradise? I beg enlightenment, and thank you.

Aioli_toast_052311
New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

It's an interesting, flavorful spice, somewhat peppery in character. Here is a link to a food[ickle thread with a lot more detail, including a link to an article by Amanda Hesser in the New York Times:

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

You can use a good black pepper, freshly ground, in this recipe if you don't have grains of paradise. I've tried it both ways; the dukkah was delicious with the black pepper. ;o)

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 3 years ago

Grains of paradise add a distinctive flavor, and are worth seeking out.

Polly Husted added almost 3 years ago

Well goodness, I've got to find this provocative ingredient. Hopefully, Whole Foods or Central Market has it. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I've ordered it from the World Spice Merchants, through The Shop on food52. I haven't been able to find it from any of my usual local sources. The grains of paradise I purchased from World Spice Merchants are delightful, however, and well worth the trouble of ordering online. The spice is well suited for a dukkah, in which the seeds, nuts, and spices are freshly ground and eaten directly, i.e., not mixed in with cooked ingredients. ;o)

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 3 years ago

One of the things I love about foodpickle is I have started using spices and herbs that I have not known about. Google spices and your city and you will find a place that sells what you want. I don't know where you live, maybe Texas. Most likely Central Market and definitely Whole Foods won't have the spice. The joy of walking into a place that is committed to selling spices and the education it entails is a gift. I