recommendation for brand of pectin?? Making jam and would love any advice!

asked by @emilybooth about 4 years ago
8a5161fb-3215-4036-ad80-9f60a53189da.buddhacat

What kind of pectin you use and if you use pectin at all depends on the fruit you are using to make jam. For example, with strawberries I don't use pectin. Here is a site that explains a lot about pectin. If you scroll down it has a chart on different types of pectin and advantages and disadvangtes. http://www.pickyourown...

766e7ce3-8394-4788-8337-bbd8a8d3a07e.5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

This site explains some things about naturally occurring pectin:
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida...

I've had good success using lemon juice and pits in my blackberry jam. I cook the jam with a small cheesecloth packet full of lemon pits. But this is with a small quantity of jam, and blackberries are already naturally high in pectin. Depending on your fruit, you may not find this method worth the effort, as AntoniaJames has found.

C0d1f1de-4134-43ba-9510-1d7a8caa31f3.scan0004

At the recommended website, you can buy Pomona's pectin! Good site, good pectin...

E7b6597b-db6e-4cae-b9f3-699b508f4ed3.036

I have been using Ball No Sugar Needed but now I think I will switch to Pomona - just have to find it - AJ - Whole Foods right?

9b94e94b-0205-4f2c-bb79-1845dcd6f7d6.uruguay2010_61

I never use pectin, as taught to me by my great granny and my grandmum. If the fruit is right, and not over ripe, you will end up with a more tender product. All fruits have some pectin. I personally find most jams in this country are to tough . . . too much pectin. My jams always set using fruit, sugar and lemon juice added at the very end. I do pre-sugar blueberries the night before to breakdown the skin and allow the natural pectin to release into the fruit. . . same with red currants.

B3038408-42c1-4c18-b002-8441bee13ed3.new_years_kitchen_hlc_only

aargersi, I first discovered Pomona pectin at Whole Foods, 20 years ago, when they opened their first store in the East Bay. I've been buying it there ever since, though I can also find it during the summer at my local Safeway, as well as at my independent bulk-foods store (the Food Mill, in Oakland). And, in a true emergency resulting from discovering local just-picked (hours before) raspberries on the North Umpqua River in Oregon, while on a kayaking/hiking/bicycling vacation last summer, I drove 40 minutes to get some at a farm stand on the other side of the nearest town. The jam-making that night in our tiny rental unit on the river was memorable. I'll tell you about it next time I see you. ;o)