uses for tarama

I just bought a jar of tarama, the fish roe used to make the greek dip taramasalata. what are some other good uses for it? i threw some into aioli and used it to make egg salad, and was very happy with the results, but i want to see what else i can do, and i'm not very familiar with this ingredient.

asked by linzarella over 3 years ago

Traditionally tarama is used as a spread on Greek bread as part of a mezze platter. Is yours the one that is already mixed or is it just the fish roe? If it's just the fish roe you need to mix it with some onions, lemon juice and either dampened bread or mashed potatoes.

Photo

Yes, I've made that spread, taramasalata, several times before, but I'm looking for another use for the plain roe.

This sounds unbelievably delicious . . . .

Here's one I found for croquettes while browsing...haven't tried it though

http://www.epicurious.com...

I know taramasalata well and love it--I'd say tarama could go where ever anchovies would. Salty, fishy, kinda smoky? Add judiciously to pizza sauce, caesar salad, sprinkle on bread with sweet butter (pretty!), toss on an omelet, mix into a cream cheese/sourcreamy oniony dip. On deviled eggs, over pan fried fish filets? Gee I have so many ideas maybe I should get myself some and start playing with it.

Face_hat_underpainting_1

Thanks for asking this question. We wonder the same thing. Love homemade tarama salata, but don't know what else to do with the roe.