🔎

• 10

• 2753

What can you do with raw pumpkin seeds? Can they be eaten as is?

Wholefoods_user_icon
Dsc00202

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I like to mix them with rolled oats, raisins, chopped almonds and dates for a raw muesli.

Avatar-460-white

This is from your friendly editors at Food52.

Voted the Best Answer!

This recipe purees them to use as a thickener in a West African-style gravy -- pretty cool: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Anita_date

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

They are great as a crunchy topping for salads. I also love them sprinkled on top of pumpkin muffins right before baking. Also, as mentioned by food52, they can be used as a thickener and flavoring for sauces. My favorite is salsa pipian, from Mexico.

Here's a recipe: http://blogs.laweekly.com...

When I don't have my usual alternatives (cashews, flaxseed, hempseed), I sometimes blend them into smoothies to thicken.

Buddhacat
SKK added almost 3 years ago

They are wonderful eaten as is, and very good for you. The seeds, in-fact, are concentrated source of numerous health benefiting minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

The chicken with West African gravy recipe cited above is outstanding. I reviewed it for the EP testing and have made it several times since. The pumpkin seeds are simply magical. I highly recommend this recipe as an excellent way to use raw pumpkin seeds!! ;o)

Image

I use them on top of bran muffins also.

Port2
nogaga added almost 3 years ago

These are super delicious! If you want a change on eating them as is, they can be briefly coated in a light, salted egg white wash and very lightly roasted. This crisps them and adds some great saltiness. You can also do this with herbed salt, no less delicious!

CaryNC added almost 3 years ago

Combine with roasted red peppers, olive oil, s&p, and cream cheese to make a great healthy dip (credit my hero Jacques Pepin). When I seed a pumpkin or winter squash I always clean the seeds, and combine with some olive oil, garlic powder, s&p, and a touch of paprika and put them in the oven on 200 degrees until toasted. Fantastic snack!!!

Yes, eat as is. Add to bread, to savory muffins, to pestos.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

You should seriously consider toasting them, then grinding them with toasted and ground cumin and coriander, then tossing with toasted sesame seeds, freshly ground Indian (telicherry or malaban) peppercorns and flaky sea salt. It's called dukkah, and into it you dip olive-oil moistened pita or other flatbread. My favorite way to use it is with hard cooked eggs. I have a recipe posted for hard cooked eggs with dukkah, which I recommend. I'll be posting a few other recipes using dukkah as (or if) time permits over the next few weeks. ;o)