🔎

Summertime Jack-o-lanterns

I was chatting with a friend and the subject turned to my daughter's summertime birthday activities. She's too young, but we were thinking how fun it would be for kids to make mini fruit jackolanterns - using those tiny watermelons I've seen at the supermarket. Then I got to thinking, what's stopping us from adding candles and using them as decoration at a nighttime party? You know, along a garden wall? Is the rind to soft or something? Would it rot too quickly for a 4 hour party? And, if it could work, why is this not all over Martha Stewart's magazines ... the idea seems *so* her :) Thoughts?

Sasha_with_ava
Sunshine-small

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Seeing as how I've carved a watermelon into wedges and left it out in the sum for a Summer BBQ for at least 4 hours, I think you'd be fine as long as you kept them refrigerated up until the party started.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870
Helen's All Night Diner added almost 3 years ago

These should work just fine. How about large bell peppers, too!

Did you know the original ones were made from turnips? see:http://en.wikipedia.org...

I think it's a fantastic idea. I hope you'll post photos.

Sunshine-small

I'd be worried that bell peppers might get a little wilted over time. :-/

Gator_cake

I think it's an awesome idea. You could get the little LED tea lights to put inside the smaller things like bell peppers. I bet the whole peppers would glow, and if you used the reds, oranges, and yellows they'd be gorgeous! I'd not be too concerned about them wilting in a 4-hour time frame.

Sasha_with_ava
Sasha (Global Table Adventure) added almost 3 years ago

I wonder if oranges would be better than peppers. Hmm. Could be outrageously cute.

Sasha_with_ava

Helen - I did not know the originals were made from Turnips. Interesting!

Sam1148 added almost 3 years ago

If you have a home with central AC with floor vents. Store the watermelons over the floor vent. Saves a lot of space in the 'fridge.

Sasha_with_ava

I wish I did, Sam - great idea! They all come out of the ceiling though.