Valid in US Only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. Free shipping valid through 11/30 at 11:59pm EST. Removal of sales tax valid through 11/28 at 11:59pm EST.
🔕 🔔

Other uses for rice flour?

I bought a bag of rice flour yesterday to make Sasha's Salvadoran Breakfast Cakes. What are other good recipes/uses for it? I've never cooked with rice flour before. Thanks!

asked by EmilyC over 4 years ago

Many of the gluten free recipes use rice flour. The Raspberry Brownies are a favorite.
Also, many traditional shortbread recipes include rice flour because it is so silky (is there a food chemistry reason too?).
And, it can be used as/in face powder!

I make the most delicious rice flour and coconut pancakes from the Ottolenghi Cookbook. Blog post and link: a lovely refreshing starter. I make double the recipe then eat pancakes for another day or 2.

I tested this recipe for an Editor's Pick, and it is really delicious. It is a great way to use rhubarb and (brown rice) flour.

Another excellent cookie:

You could use it in Okonomiyaki
Mixed with some of the AP flour.

Or in Korean Scallion Pancakes.
Or use like you would cornstarch for frying bit of chicken for a stir fry.
Or in tempura batter.

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions! I have a bad habit of buying an ingredient for one recipe and then neglecting it, so your ideas will come in handy.

I use rice flour when I want a very thin delicate coating on some fried foods.

. First & foremost, for thickening gravies.

2. A quick & easy wheat crepe :
2 tbsp rice flour,
1 tbsp each whole wheat flour & semolina (or cornmeal),

make a thin batter using buttermilk (diluted with water if needed). add a packet of yeast and allow to sit for an hour, add Salt to taste.
Heat a tablespoon of oil till smoking hot, add 1/2 a spoon of Mustard seeds, Cumin & finely minced 1/2 a green chile. When the cumin splits & the mustard starts popping. add to the batter & mix well.
In a really hot non stick skillet, add 1/2 a tsp of oil & swirl around. Add a ladle of the batter, swirl to evenly coat the bottom. when the edges of the crepe start curling, flip the crepe over & cook the other side...Serve with any chutney of your choice. (I'm guessing Jenny's mint pesto would work fabulously)

Excellent when used for fried fish. I learned that from pauljoseph!! I dry rub a firm, flaky fish with dukkah, let it sit for 20 - 30 minutes, then dust it lightly with rice flour. Delicious!! ;o)