What is the best way to make two batches of ice cream in my 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart ice cream maker?

Do I need to clean the freezer bowl or can I just return it to the freezer after I remove the first batch of ice cream? About how long will it take til the bowl is cold enough to make the second batch? Thanks!

asked by pamelalee about 3 years ago

If I am in a hurry, I will put my base in a cooler with some dry ice for a few hours. It freezes up nicely and then I can make my ice cream. The base has to be really frozen otherwise you will end up with a soupy mess which turns icy when you refreeze it instead of nice and creamy.

Sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

Wow. I would have been afraid of using dry ice -- I'd be afraid it would freeze the plastic outer bowl too cold and it might crack. But if you've tried it then good to know!

(Now if I only had a handy source of dry ice...)

Dry ice is available at most grocery stores. I always use a cooler that's large enough so that the base is not actually touching the dry ice.

Anita_date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Peter, I would love the details on that not *too* much ice cream maker please!

Junechamp

me, too, Peter.

the only way I know to prep the Cuisinart bowl is to freeze it for 24 hours. When I've tried to use it sooner, it doesn't freeze the custard properly.

Sunshine-small
Peter

Anita-

I misspoke. Amanda's Ice Cream maker is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Simac...

...which doesn't have a price on Amazon but in digging around the web it seems to cost many hundreds of dollars. (Good thing I can borrow Amanda's!) I guess I was thinking it was affordable as compared to what I see pastry chefs use in the backs of restaurants.

41gwq1rtz3l._sl500_aa300_

Pamelalee

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. Making two batches is a lot more work than I realized! I came up with an alternative: I'm going to stretch one batch by using it to fill buttery profiteroles, topped with chocolate sauce and lots of whipped cream. David Lebovitz has a recipe in "The Perfect Scoop."

I run into this problem all the time because sometimes I have to make enough to serve 20 people or more. What I've tried to do---without success so far---is to order a second freezer bowl from Cuisinart, but when you call them at customer service they refer you to tech support. Huh? I just want a "replacement" bowl and not a whole second machine. I do agree though that the bowl should freeze overnight.

An ice cream loving friend of mine bought an extra bowl on Amazon for this exact reason. I think she waited until it went on sale.