🔎

Amarena Cherries

Does anyone have a recipe for the syrup used to preserve Amarena cherries? Google has failed me.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
Mefor52
frankieolives added over 2 years ago

i would:
1) happily pour it over vanilla or coconut gelato or ice cream
2)use it as the grenadine in a shirley temple or in a manhattan, depending on your age ; )
3) toss your stone fruit in it before you use it in a galette/tart for a je ne sais quoi?
4) pour a little in a glass, top with ice and fizzy water and call it an amarena soda
5) use it in your go-to balsamic vinaigrette, just a dash, for depth
6) glaze a squab during the final few minutes of roasting

the possibilities are endless!

Mefor52
frankieolives added over 2 years ago

ooohhh, here're more:

brush it in between the layers of your yellowcake, before you spread on your butter cream, or if you're doing a chocolate cake, brush it between layers and call it black forest.

whip into whipped cream for desserts, or tint your creme anglaise

brush it onto the steak that you are about to submit to this weeks contest during grilling...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

Thanks, frankieolives! I actually meant to MAKE the syrup myself. I have some Rainier cherries I want to try preserving in the syrup used for Amarenas. But I can't find a recipe for what's in the syrup.

Mefor52
frankieolives added over 2 years ago

lol. ohhhh! well, now we know what to do with our leftover amarena syrup ;)

i think the recipe is a secret, from what i understand anyway. hmmm, maybe try making a syrup with sugar, amaretto and lemon juice.....

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

Indeed we do! Yes; I was beginning to get the sense this is a very well-kept secret recipe. I was hoping someone had managed to make up something similar. But apparently I'm going to have to do that myself. Yum. I like the amaretto suggestion.

Can't say for sure but I'm guessing it's just simple syrup, sugar and water, in which the cherries have macerated for a long time, releasing their flavor into the syrup. But amarena are a variety of bitter cherries, kind of unique to Italy.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

Thanks, pierino. I think you're probably right.

Paula G. added over 2 years ago

I preserved the cherries in a bottle of vodka with caster sugar. By Christmas you have a magic liqueur. Also put cherries in a white wine vinegar for a great flavourd vinegar.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added over 2 years ago

Thanks for the idea, Paula G.! I ended up making a light syrup with vanilla sugar, water, and campari. When I get more cherries, I'll probably try a few variations on this. (I love to can.)

Summer_2010_1048
Midge added 11 months ago

I've been experimenting with preserving sour cherries in vanilla/simple syrup over the last few summers. I'm curious about your proportions and intrigued by the campari--yum-- how much do you add?

Rm Sf added over 1 year ago

Fresh red, sour cherries, lots of sugar, vinegar, lemon juice or balsamic, vanilla. Be sure to leave in some pits for the special flavor. Marinate for at least a month.

Bacon_pie
Cami's Kitchen added 11 months ago

The secret ingredient is the cherries themselves. True Amarena cherries are from Italy, usually grown in Modena and Bologna (Similar to how true champagne can only come from the champagne region of France, otherwise it is just sparkling wine.). Italians preserve these small sour cherries in sugar. I'm going to try using Bing cherries and see what happens... I can probably only call them preserved cherries then, lol!

amysarah added 11 months ago

Not amarena cherries, but in the same vein - sour cherries are big in Hungarian cooking. I'm pretty sure the syrup was basic simple syrup. Most often they were used for sour cherry soup in the summer, but I also remember jars of them in kirsch. Also, my great grandmother would use them to make a loose jam, and stir a spoon of it into hot tea for us. Delicious and when you finished your tea, you got to eat the cherries left in the bottom of the glass (never a cup, always a small glass.)

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added 11 months ago

@Midge: If memory serves, my best batch of preserved cherries came from first cutting the cherries in half, pitting, and dusting them with sugar overnight. It was about 1 cup cut cherries and maybe 1/4 cup sugar. Then I took all the liquid from that the next day, mixed with about 1/4 cup campari, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 cup water. I cooked the syrup down till it was slightly thickened, then canned the cherries in a water bath. I got the cherries from the farmer's market and I know they were a little on the sour side, but not like Amarena. Morello maybe? Anyway, they turned out great, even if I didn't keep track of my exact ratios.

Summer_2010_1048
Midge added 11 months ago

Thanks so much beyondcelery! Look forward to trying your method when cherries are in season.

Summer_2010_1048
Midge added 11 months ago

I've only used the very tart Montmorency, which work great.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm
beyondcelery added 11 months ago

Nice, I haven't seen Montmorency cherries. I'll keep a lookout for them!