🔔
🔎

refrigerating blue cheese

how long will it keep in refrigerator? how to tell if its too old-since it's already full of moldy blue streaks?

asked by mcd2 over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

If it's wrapped well, I find mine will last 2 weeks. And you can tell it's getting old if the white parts begin to turn yellow or pink.

Junechamp

The secret to keeping any cheese is to wrap it in paper. Butcher paper, or waxed paper. Never plastic wrap. and when you get it home from the store, be sure to take it out of the plastic wrap.

It should keep two weeks, or until it's gone, whichever comes first. ;)

Sara_clevering

Am I remembering wrong, or possibly foil as well for keeping? This is a great question, I always wonder myself, since, as you say, it's already moldy.

Junechamp

No, you remembered right. Foil is okay for keeping blue cheese, but I wouldn't use it for any others.

Debbykalk-photo

You don't have to toss it if it's moldy - you can brush away anything that looks unappetizing. But if it's yellowing, then it's getting old and dry.

Steven Jenkins in his Cheese Primer says he used to always wrap cheeses in waxed paper or foil but now finds that wrapping in plastic wrap is fine, too. But the rind should not be left in contact with plastic for long or the cheese will start to suffocate. Another exception is chevre, which he feels is best in foil, waxed paper, or a glass or plastic container with tight lid.

Sara_clevering

Thanks @ChefJune! @latoscana--Wow, so it's the rind that has to be looked after; how interesting.

Debbykalk-photo

Forgot to mention in previous post:
Cheese is a biologically active product. So, when wrapping, think in terms of letting it breathe.
It's OK to refrigerate - but allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Apologies for the spam -- we're working to track it down.

Bestface

By the way, it's best to rewrap the bleu cheese every time you use it. So when you bring it out to serve or in a recipe, rewrap in new parchment paper or foil. This prevents moisture from building up.

Has anyone else noticed that some (all?) blue cheeses have very little color when you buy them but start to develop color as soon as they're exposed to air. I buy mainly Rogue River blues, which is where I've noticed it.