I'm trying to pop amaranth, but it keeps burning and not popping. Help?

asked by kkerkman almost 3 years ago

Amaranth is a very fine grain. Why are you trying to pop it?

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I once popped it accidentally when tossing it in coconut oil before cooking it like rice (experiment). It was at medium-high heat with about 1 Tbls coconut oil and 1/2 cup amaranth grain, stirring around constantly. Honestly? It isn't worth the trouble. It tasted nearly the same as regular amaranth and didn't grow huge the way corn does. I'm with boulangere: why?

Kelli

A recipe called for it - thanks!

Your pan probably isn't hot enough. Test by adding only 2-3 grains first. They should pop immediately. If they do, add 2-3 tablespoons and then, shake or stir constantly while they pop. I also like to use a spatter screen to keep them in the pot while they pop. Also, they will burn quickly, so when they start popping vigorously I remove the pan from the heat as the popping slows. Dump the popped amaranth into a bowl and start the process again.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet