🔔
🔎

For upcoming contests, I nominate:

1. your best celery
2. your best oregano

I have a perfect recipe for each that I'm chomping at the bit to share. Anyone else?

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Junechamp

Oregano? Come on1 it's a flavor enhancer, not a main ingredient!

I've been thinking blueberries. They're everywhere now.

or "outré grains" like farro, millet, quinoa, amaranth, etc. any alone or all together in a bunch.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Post them anyway, Anitalectric! You can always submit them later on if there's a good theme match!

We had a basil theme last year, so why not oregano?

I'd like to see another zucchini theme.

036

Best Recipe Inspired By A Song! (Checker thought that up not me)
Chili Cookoff
Bananas? I just said that because I am eating a banana right now

I'm very cool with celery actually. It's a very Roman ingredient, so it's one I like to play with.

Junechamp

Hasn't there been a chili challenge?

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Has there been a vegan contest already? I second the vote for blueberries and raise you blackberries.

Scan0004

There have been some spectacular recipes posted using thyme in mind-expanding ways, so how about "thyme" or "using herbs in unconventional ways"?
(for example, http://www.food52.com/recipes... -- I keep the syrup on hand, always find it refreshing, and resist any change!)

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I would love to do walnuts....

036

GAME! I forgot to say game! Game birds, antlered or tusked things that some kind soul shot and cleaned and shared ....

Junechamp

game would be FABulous. One of my favorite categories! Walnuts are another fave... Pecans, Hazelnuts... the possibilities are ENDless.

How about capybara? We seem to have one or more running around here in Paso.

Junechamp

What the heck is a "capybara?"

Capybara is a 100 pound S. American rodent. Apparently there's at least one roaming around here. This is the only way that Paso Robles makes national front pages, not to mention Twitter. Now if there was a Chupacabra, that would be serious news.

036

That's hilarious - when I read capybara my brain was thinking chupacabra.

I know - NUTRIA! They are destroying the bayous and levees in New Orleans and we need to get rid of them - why not cook them???

@aargersi, I thought of nutria when I read this, too!

Buddhacat

@aargersi - when I lived in Morgan City, La people would go into the bayous and trap them for furs and eat them. Just can't bring myself to eat a huge rodent!

Buddhacat

InPat'sKitchen and I had a long conversation about alligator - could we include that in the game contest?

Love the capybara idea. In Montana we have a surfeit of rabbits, though I also have 2 as pets . . . . .

Alligator, love it SKK, and no, it doesn't taste like chicken. It tastes like alligator, but maybe closer to a fishy tasting pork. I like the tail meat the best.

Buddhacat

Pierino, I like the tail meat the best too. Had it when I lived in Lousiana. We were way back in the Bayou Teche or some tributary and stopped in at a local store. The kids went to school by boat, everything was done by boat, and they had alligator and possum on the menu. I must say that the alligator was superior to the possum. Possum only took once for me, I have no desire for it now.

Coon is very popular in Detroit..we use to sell hundreds for Thanksgiving, Xmas and The New Year...surrounded with sweet potatoes it tastes sort of like sweet beef...gotta get all the fat off first though...

Checker

Along the lines of the oregano theme, perhaps Your Best Solo Herb, or something - meaning only one herb to add flavor to the dish. And I am totally game for game, aargersi. Thank you for pushing my theme idea too!

I agree about Best Celery ........given our economy and the fact that celery is always cheap .. .... bring it on Food52!!!!!

Forgot to add, but I love the idea of best vegan recipe too!

Cimg0737

Love the idea of a celery theme -- I am growing lots of it in my garden, so I would have lots of it to experiment with.

It would also be great to have a vegan theme.

Has there been a fennel contest yet? :)

Lorigoldsby

HLA--cuckoo for coconut...or maybe just cuckoo? No need to actually run the avocado contest--we'll just concede and let your vast repoirtore of avocado shakes, creams and dishes be the entire EP list! ;)

Gator_cake

@ lorigoldsby. I definitely love coconut, and am a bit cuckoo to boot. I'm pretty sure I only have 2 recipes that incorporate avocado, but would definitely love to add to that!

Mallory

How about your best 15/30/60 minute meal? Has that been done yet?

Nog

I'm with totalnoms - best weeknight dinner! I'm always looking for ways to mix up the routine and I'm inevitably always pressed for time by the end of the day. It would be great to see what a fantastic community like this could come up with. Probably more than frozen pizza or omelets I'm guessing....not that there is anything wrong with frozen pizza or omelets for dinner!

Mallory

That's exactly what I was thinking- I'm usually struggling when I get out of work at 630 to think of an easy, delicious recipe that doesn't require 28934 ingredients I dont have and that won't take approx 3 days to make- and if we had a whole contest devoted to that... yum i'd be set for months!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

This is week 52 of the second book. Does anyone know what's happening next? :o)

3-bizcard

Would love to know what's next!!

Lorigoldsby

I hope they are starting book 3! Since I missed book one and most of book 2,...I have some catching up to do!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

second AntoniaJames Qn... what next?

Melissa_mitchell

Fall is coming...how about "your best first fall day" recipe? So many possibilities, so many different cooking methods...

Buddhacat

Sam1148 asked the following question: For East Coaster: What's your best no power food and plan? This would be a brilliant upcoming contest.

What about low fat? I think that'd be quite the challenge.
Or on a different note...how about cooking for 1 or 2? I live by myself and all recipes seem to be for 4 people. I don't like eating the same thing for 4 days and run out of freezer space!

Dsc_0122.nef-1

A frugal gourmet theme.. (I've been running kitchen from absolute scratch for the past 2 weeks, ZERO food material to start with, just 2 gas burners, a fridge & running water....I'm amazed as to how it is absolutely possible to feed a family of 4 (including picky kids) with ingredients that fit into a medium sized container!, just basic ingredients ...

But don't forget what happened to The Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith.

How about cucumbers?