Valid in US Only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply. Free shipping valid through 11/30 at 11:59pm EST. Removal of sales tax valid through 11/28 at 11:59pm EST.
🔕 🔔

Cheesecake recipe doesn't say what temp oven should be at, just that it bakes for an 1 1/2 hour and center should get to 150 degrees. Any idea what I should set my oven to? Calls for a water bath.

asked by WannabeBaker about 5 years ago

I think 350 is the usual, but I see 275 sometimes too. This reliable site says star at 350F then reduce to 259 to finish and I think that is a smart idea.

But wait for a cheesecake baker to come along, if you can. I haven't made one in a few years.

I bake at 350 for 15 mins and then turn down to 250 for 75 minutes.

The Idea of turning the temp down on cheesecake as it is cooking is a full proof method to prevent cracking. The methods suggested keeps the top from cooking faster and the center from expanding while cooking therefore preventing cracks in the top. I've even seen it turned from 350F to 250F to 200F. Of course this will increase cooking time.

DonnyG, I like the "why" in your answers! I've always figured that you cook a cheesecake in a slow oven to prevent overcooking/weeping, as could happen with a higher temperature for a longer period, but didn't know the reason for starting at high and then reducing. Thanks for posting this info! ;o)

Not too sound too grouchy about it, but any recipe that doesn't give temps is one I would not trust. Exceptions made for "antique" recipes made in a wood-fired oven, index cards from grandma, and methods for professionals who would know standard temps for things.

Thanks AJ-I always have a problem with answers that don't include the "Why". But I just thought it would be helpful in this case to add to the answers. If you put two and two together you can look at the recipe and realize two things. Cheese cake is a custard and eggs are a levening agent (think fratata). Once you recognize that it only makes sense as to why cracks occur in cheese cake if not careful. And when over cooked you can get cracks as well as the weeping. The weeping being caused by breaking the cream cheese.

There are many recipes for cheesecakes all over the Internet. all recipes is a great site where you can find the exact recipe you are looking for. This website is missing recipes for a lot of ethnic cuisines. I love love Indian food but I haven't found any good recipe for it on this website. I looked at this indian dishes on this classifieds website and I started licking the computer screen !! LOL http://www.europegiant... That looks sooo good and delicious :-)