A question about a recipe: Peach Frangipane Galette

Peach-frangipane-galette

I have a question about the ingredient "almond paste" on the recipe "Peach Frangipane Galette" from alexandracooks.

I have Bob's Red Mill ground almond flour. Can I make almond paste out of it?

asked by rapearson about 3 years ago
Astafford

Funny you should ask... I have the same bag in my freezer, and I'd really like to use it up. I recently made an apricot and frangipane tart recipe from the NYTimes Wednesday food section, which called for a homemade frangipane. (Here is a link to the full post: http://www.alexandracooks...)

In the recipe, you make the frangipane by grinding almonds to a fine powder in a food processor. I don't see why you couldn't just use the same amount of almond flour (which I think is essentially ground almonds, right?) and omit the grinding of the almonds step. I've enclosed the frangipane recipe below, which is going to give you a ton more than you need. You might consider halving it or freezing what you don't need. It might be worth googling other frangipane recipes to compare.

Here is what the homemade frangipane recipe called for:

7 ounces whole blanched almonds, a bit more than a cup
1 cup light brown sugar, plus more for sprinkling
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 vanilla pod, split lengthwise and scraped, pulp reserved and pod discarded
1 tablespoon flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

To make the frangipane: In a food processor, grind the almonds to a fine powder. Transfer to a bowl. In the food processor, combine 1 cup brown sugar, butter, and vanilla pulp. Process until light and fluffy, then with motor running add the flour and the eggs. Add the ground almonds and pulse to mix evenly. Set aside at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Bring to room temperature and stir before using.

Hope that helps!

Alexandra

Open-uri20140722-9885-1vabeo4

Thanks Alexandra! Also I love your photographs on your blog, they are making me hungry...

Astafford

Of course! I hope it helps!