🔎

Lamb is one of my favorite dinners. What is a great sauce or chutney that pairs with lamb... something creative...definitely NOT mint sauce?

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago

I tried this recipe several time excellent recipe http://indianfood.about...

Dsc03010
betteirene added over 3 years ago

Anything with garlic, like a raita (omit the mint and double up on another herb), a cucumber-yogurt sauce as for gyros, chimichurri, or a Greek-style gremolata with olive oil, garlic, lemon, parsley and a tiny bit of oregano. A neighbor makes a lovely lemon chutney that goes very well with lamb--she shares a little of every batch she makes, but will not share the recipe, which is why she's a neighbor instead of a friend. I know it contains lemons, cloves, raisins and brown sugar.

52
pauljoseph added over 3 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

betteirene may be this is your neighbors recipe you can add 2 to three cloves if you like but the original recipe no cloves

Sweet Lime Chutney

Ingredients:
2 dried red chili peppers (seeded and chopped)
2tbsp dates (pitted and chopped)
2tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
¾ table spoons salt
2 tbsp golden raisins
2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
¼ tablespoon hot powdered mustard
4 limes (quartered and seeded)
4 inch piece fresh ginger root (peeled and chopped)

Directions:
Rub the cut surfaces of the limes with salt and place them on a cookie tray. Heat them in a 140 F oven until the surfaces are fairly dry. Remove limes and chop roughly.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add the limes. Feed the mixture, a small batch at a time, into a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is finely chopped. Accumulate the batches in a large saucepan.

Set the saucepan over moderate heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring steadily. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the chutney for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Let the mixture cool slightly, then fill into canning jars. If you wish the chutney to have a long (unrefrigerated) shelf life, sterilize the jars in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Dscf2141
foodfighter added over 3 years ago

I have made an appetizer with dates, bacon, ground lamb and garam masala. The combination could not be better. Perhaps that can be some inspiration for a chutney. It might be good with some preserved lemon or other zest as well. Let us know what you end up doing.

Aioli would be good. But being a fiend for olives, capers and anchovies I would be tempted to make a tapenade for a table condoment---depending on what your other courses are. You can also blend roasting juices into a vinaigrette with tarragon or basil. Artichokes and lamb pair up well.

dymnyno added over 3 years ago

I like the ingredients in both betteirene and paul joseph's chutneys. I am going to make pj's because my lime tree is bursting with fruit and his recipe sounds fantastic. I also like pierino's because I like the blending of the lamb's own juices with an herb like tarragon, one of my favorites...and I think his advice would be best with rare lamb which is my favorite way to cook it. THANK YOU!

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

fresh mint chutney from an Indian cookbook is delicious

Jon Palmer added over 3 years ago

Rosemary-cherry sauce:

Reduce the following:

Chicken stock
Tart cherry juice
A good dry red wine

In a pan until it gets reduced by at least half. The quantities will depend on how many servings you need. The stock is the base of the sauce, with the reduction of the juice and the wine providing a good tart flavor that can pair well with lamb. I like to use about equal amounts of stock and juice, with about half as much wine. Of course, all of this can be adjusted to taste.

Toward the end of the sauce's reducing, add in dried cherries and some chopped rosemary.

If you want the sauce thicker than just reduction allows, make a little slurry with cornstarch (or arrowroot starch) and some of the leftover cherry juice.

It's phenomenal with pork, but also very good with lamb.