Does anyone have a suggestion, please? My 15-yr. old son is having a a large Halloween pary. Because it's a school night this year, the party will take place over the dinner hour. Besides chili, what would be an easy and inexpensive dinner? Thanks for any ideas.

asked by ellenl almost 4 years ago
Canposter

Make Magazine put out a Halloween issue in 2007. It was filled with crazy cool ideas for Halloween parties; some simple and some mindblowing and complicated. Regardless, it is very inspirational for food and decor ideas.

Here's the link to the online version of the issue:

http://makezine.com/halloween2007...

Dsc_0048b

What about a butternut squash spiked mac and cheese with a salad? Or a lasagna with pumpkin or butternut squash? I always tend toward a casserole/pasta type thing as those kids can eat! Maybe some mini meatballs that you can bake rather than have to stand and fry?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Dsc_0048b

ellenl - this one might be too obvious, but I used to make something like this when my kids were younger and if you use the cheddar, it'd have the nice orange color on top. Make a couple of big pans of this (keep one in oven while other is served), etc.
http://ruhlman.com/?s=simple...

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

A taco bar. Saute the meat, heat the shells, chop the fillings. Set out a buffet of all the different fixings so the kids can make it themselves. My kids and their friends love this meal.

And I love the pasta ideas, too.

healthierkitchen, thans so much. This is totally perfect!!!

Thanks mrslarkin--a great idea and they's love this also--but there may be close to 50 kids and I want to minimize wear and tear on the chef!

Dscf2141

I think a sandwich bar is a good idea. You could do an pulled pork. Assuming you have time to let it braise before the party.

Mrs._larkin_370

whoa, that is a HUGE party! Definitely go with the pasta. :)

I'll go along with any answer that involves mac and cheese.

Thanks everyone!

What about a mashed potato bar. Easy to serve in paper coffee cups and plenty warm for a cool Halloween night. All sorts of toppings that could have "ghoulish" names...Call it a brain bar or a goo bar...15 year olds love that gross stuff...

What a great idea! Do you have some ideas for gross toppings-- e.g. blood--what else? I'm somewhat panicked about all these kids (I will have an adult cadre in place).

Image

Lots of alcohol! (for the adult cadre!)

Great idea!!!

Dsc_0048b

Wow - big party!! I've only got a third of that number and all girls so it's easy, but I'm more excited about the adult drink and snack ideas. gingerrroot's Trick-or-treat-tini and Oui,chef's great pumpkin truffles!

Another fabulous idea--and one I will surely need!

Birthday_2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

The fall cocktail in the Halloween contest with Maker's Mark, apple cider and mmaple syrup. Made it this weekend for a wedding shower. Want to try the ghoulish cocktail with Midori also but haven't yet. For the kids: one huge pot of chili and one baked casserole because there will be a kid who hates chili. Also consider Sloppy Joes, a super easy recipe in the old Betty Crocker Kids' Book. You could call them Bloody Joes if thats not too scary, put ketchup squirts on the paper plates as a trail of blood... please do the candy corn sculptures Candy Corn; Henge as a party game.

Enchiladas or lasagna?